The updated Argyll & Bute proposal recognises that the ‘Hill Road’ route between Ulva Primary and Dervaig is regularly impassible during winter months – and suggests an alternate route via Burg and Ensay.
Not only is this a longer journey, but the condition of this road is equally poor – and it’s equally as remote as the ‘Hill Road’ with many miles of the journey lacking any mobile phone coverage.
Here’s a video we recorded this weekend, showing that it took us 53 minutes to drive this route, under ideal conditions, with good weather and minimal Saturday morning traffic.
Things to note:
- Our 53 minute journey time included five child pickups, which took 4 minutes 25 seconds in total.
- Our average pickup time was 53 seconds – which we think is very fast, especially when we had two little P1 children to strap in.
- The stretch of road between Torloisk and Ensay was closed for several weeks last winter.
- The proposal completely fails to take into account travel times of future children and families on the islands of Ulva and Gometra.
- The Ulva Primary catchment area extends for a further 4.2 miles to the east – which would add an additional ten minutes to the journey time, should a child move to Kellan.